Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Foodies and Farmers Meet Around Capitol


JESSICA: When I moved to Manitowoc two years ago, one of my first loves was the local farmers’ market. I eagerly anticipated Saturday mornings spent socializing with vendors and friends along the lakeshore. Fellow foodies told me that I needed to make the trek to Madison one Saturday to see the majestic Dane County Farmers' Market around the Capitol square.

GREGG: Family members raved about the impressive Madison market, and Jessica’s always enthused about her mornings at the market. I spent a morning at the Manitowoc market recently in order to make a comparison when we traveled to Madison. Kohlrabi as big as my head and tasty cheese samples wowed me.

While the Manitowoc market fills half of the large parking lot across from the public library, the one in Madison sprawls around all four sides of Capitol square, and according to one venison jerky vendor we spoke to, is among the biggest in the country.

“If you take the average from April to November, we have 20,000 people coming through here every Saturday,” he said of the market that runs from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Those numbers are easy to believe as we merged into pedestrian traffic and began our slow shuffle around the Capitol at about 10 a.m.

JESSICA: As I sipped a steaming café au lait, my eyes surveyed the gorgeous displays at every vendor stand. Bright bouquets of early fall flowers–zinnias, dahlias, and mums–vied for space with stacks of summer squash and boxes of multi-colored tomatoes. Piles of pie pumpkins and braids of garlic hinted at the seasonal transition. Photos of happy cows grazing in grassy fields graced the tents of sustainable meat vendors, and words like “all natural,” “sustainable,” and “organic” filled the air.



GREGG: Creative vendor names such as Merry’s Garden of Eatin’, Sprouting Acres and Yesteryear Farms were proudly displayed on vendors’ tents. Many touted their organically grown fruits, vegetables and meats.



My sister recommended the hot and spicy cheese bread from Stella’s Bakery. With no signs on display, I asked the vendor for “some” cheese bread, and instead of offering a slice or two, she handed me a bag with a football-sized loaf.Hot…soft…fresh…delicious! We pulled pieces off of the loaf as we strolled among the crowd.

JESSICA: As we perused the displays, I searched for new, unusual and hard-to-find vegetables that I couldn’t find at my home market in Manitowoc. I giddily bought a selection of beans–cranberry beans and soy beans still in the pods, and dried pinto and black beans. I imagined the stir fries and soups to come as summer slips irrevocably into fall. As I stuffed my purchases into my new canvas market bag, purchased from the artist herself, I longed to be back at home in my kitchen, cooking.



GREGG: One vendor offered free pesto samples, and as a lady politely refused as she walked past, he summed up the object of farmers’ markets everywhere as he jokingly chided her: “Now is that any way to be? It’s the farmers’ market! It’s about food! It’s about having fun with food!”

JESSICA: Such comments mingled with the strains of street musicians, ranging from a bagpiper, to a singing drummer, to my favorite, a bearded man wearing bright orange playing classical Bach tunes on a flute-like instrument.



GREGG: For foodies and non-foodies alike, farmers offered unexpected selections like Turkish orange eggplant, elephant garlic, peacock broccoli, ostrich and emu steaks and burgers and wide variety of squashes such as opo, which is comparable to zucchini in size and taste. One herb vendor’s stall boasted more than 30 different herbs.

JESSICA: Midway through our second promenade around the square, we deviated for a quick cheese tasting and refreshment break at Fromagination. There, a helpful employee provided tastes of artisanal Wisconsin cheeses. We purchased carbonated water and juice and a handful of French pastries, and sat on a park bench until we regained stamina to complete the tour around the market.



The Dane County Farmers’ Market, which runs year-round, did not disappoint me. The selection of foods was wide and varied, and the prices surprisingly reasonable.And yet, for all that Madison offers, I’ll happily stroll the Manitowoc parking lot next weekend, chatting with my favorite vendors, many of whom I now count as friends.

GREGG: And I can’t wait to sample…

JESSICA: …and help cook!...

GREGG: …the soups Jessica makes with her Madison market haul.

Pull up a chair and dish! 
Tell us about your favorite farmers' market find!


1 comment:

  1. Ok, first things first--what a great column/entry!! wonderful job!

    I had to laugh--Piccolo Man made it into your writeup! Ah, the true Madison experience... :)

    ReplyDelete